Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.

From: Josh
Subject: Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:08:21 -0400

Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com> writes:

> I was pressing random keys trying to figure out how to save my
> document.  I was looking through the emacs help menu on how to
> do it (enduring a lot of computer beeping).  That's when it
> crashed.  Emacs is a nightmare to navigate.  Where is the "Save
> As" button on this thing???

You wouldn't happen to have noticed the "Save As" option in the
"File" menu, perhaps?

> The reason I didn't even save in the first place was because
> emacs never asked me to create a new document when I started it
> up.  It just dumped me in some "buffer".  In VIM you have to
> specify a file when you open a document.  Makes sense, and it
> works unlike emacs.

You would have, of course, missed this text in the scratch buffer
on startup as well?

;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp
;; evaluation.  If you want to create a file, first visit that
;; file with C-x C-f, then enter the text in that file's own
;; buffer.

In particular, the first sentence is quite telling...

>> One presses C-g.  That's it.  You then use ^ in the Group
>> buffer to go to the server buffer and close the connection to
>> the server with C.  You leave the server buffer with q, and
>> then you just continue working once the connection is up
>> again.
>
> Try it.  Didn't work for me.

This works fine for me.  Of course, I don't have a modem to test
with, so I'll have to settle for bringing the interface down.