Re: Sending mail fails silently

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Sending mail fails silently
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 08:41:47 -0600

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Hello, I've been trying to configure gnus to take care of my
>> mail. (remote IMAP/authenticated SMTP)
>
>> However, mail I send from gnus does not seem to reach its
>> destination.  Is there any way I can coax gnus/smtpmail into being
>> more verbose about the process, so I can try to isolate the
>> problem?
>
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
>
> shows the trace of the SMTP session.  You can see it in the buffer
> named "*trace of SMTP session to XXX*".
>
> By the way, smtpmail.el containd in Emacs 21.3 doesn't support the
> authenticated SMTP as far as I know.

Can't that be handled through an .authinfo file?  My ISPs NNTP server
requires authorization and eventually so will the SMTP server.  My
.authinfo contains:

machine news.iphouse.com login timmcn@bitstream.net password xxxxxxxxx

and I assume the syntax for SMTP would be similar, perhaps:

machine smtp.iphouse.com login timmcn@bitstream.net pasword xxxxxxxx

This of course presumes the OP is running a Unix-type system.  If he's
running Emacs under Windows or Mac OS 9, I wouldn't know what could be
done about that.