Re: Sending mail fails silently

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Sending mail fails silently
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:36:43 -0600

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Can't that be handled through an .authinfo file?  My ISPs NNTP
>> server requires authorization and eventually so will the SMTP
>> server.
>
> The latest smtpmail should support the ~/.authinfo file.  Make sure
> the value for the `smtpmail-auth-credentials' variable is
> "~/.authinfo" after loading smtpmail.elc.
>
>> My .authinfo contains:
>
>> machine news.iphouse.com login timmcn@bitstream.net password
>> xxxxxxxxx
>
>> and I assume the syntax for SMTP would be similar, perhaps:
>
>> machine smtp.iphouse.com login timmcn@bitstream.net pasword
>> xxxxxxxx
>
> It seems no problem except for `pasword'.  It's a typo of
> `password', isn't it? ;-) By the way, is `timmcn@bitstream.net' a
> valid login name?  It might have to be a shell login name.

Yes, "pasword" was a typo that I didn't catch (one sadly of many,
which has caused some consternation a few times with my .emacs and
.gnus files- Lisp isn't very idiot-tolerant).

In the case of my ISP, they are usiing e-mail addresses rather than
shell login names.

>> This of course presumes the OP is running a Unix-type system.  If
>> he's running Emacs under Windows or Mac OS 9, I wouldn't know what
>> could be done about that.
>
> smtpmail.el mentions another usage of `smtpmail-auth-credentials'.
> For example:
>
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>       '(("smtp.iphouse.com" 25 "timmcn@bitstream.net" "xxxxxxxx")))

Ah, excellent!  Hopefully that will help the OP as well.