Re: Sending mail fails silently

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Sending mail fails silently
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:14:30 -0600

Michiel Buddingh <michiel@t-91-39.athome.tue.nl> writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>> Can't that be handled through an .authinfo file?  My ISPs NNTP
>> server requires authorization and eventually so will the SMTP
>> server.  My .authinfo contains:
>>
>> machine news.iphouse.com login timmcn@bitstream.net password
>> xxxxxxxxx
>>
>> and I assume the syntax for SMTP would be similar
>
> How would the authinfo file help if smtpmail.el doesn't know how to
> do authentication?

Well, I couldn't use my ISPs new NNTP server with Gnus until I created
the .authinfo file.  Now I can.  Granted that's not using smtpmail.el
and I haven't had to try authentication with my POP account yet
(authentication doesn't go "live" for another month).  All I can
recommend is trying it and seeing if it works.