Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?

From: napofrog
Subject: Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
Date: 29 Mar 2005 15:13:30 -0800

Bruno Hertz wrote:
> "napofrog" <napofrog@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Right, but M-g actually exits the summary buffer, and my summary
buffer
> > is large enough that I was hoping not to have to exit at all.  Is
it
> > possible to catch new mail without leaving the summary buffer?
>
> It doesn't exit the summary buffer here (and hasn't been done for
years, with
> various Emacs/Gnus/Ognus versions). Did you tweak some obscure
variable which
> changes this behavior?

Really?  M-g very clearly exits the summary buffer for me.  Here is
exactly what happens when I use it from the summary buffer:

1) The mini-buffer at the bottom of the frame says "Expiring
articles..."

2) The summary buffer disappears and we are back in the group buffer.

3) Very briefly the mini-buffer flashes: "Retrieving newsgroup:
nnml:mail.misc" [this is my main inbox newsgroup]

4) The minibuffer queries how many articles.

Is this different from your behavior?

I am using the Gnus version that comes with Emacs 21.2.2 out of the
box, so it's not old.

Thanks again for the help,

Roger