Re: More gnewb questions

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: More gnewb questions
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:09:21 +0200

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:59:36 GMT, notbob wrote:

> If I learn how to fly this thing before I die of old age, I'll definitely
> contribute.  ;)

Better do it while you're not used to Gnus, when you are, you'll think
it's all obvious!

>> It is something a news-server keeps, and maintains.

> "When Gnus starts, or indeed whenever it tries to determine whether new
> articles have arrived, it reads the active file. This is a very large file
> that lists all the active groups and articles on the server."

> See what I mean about vague?  Didn't say active file was ON the server.

No, I guess that paragraph was written assuming that the reader knows
what the active file is and how nntp/news works.

Feel free to suggest a better wording!

> OK.  I did.  Now what?

Put this in the file:

  (setq gnus-read-active-file nil)

and start Gnus.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "do you think the idea of "one tool doing one job            Adam Sjøgren
  well" has been abandoned?" [...] " Those days are      asjo@koldfront.dk