Re: More gnewb questions

From: Marshall Price
Subject: Re: More gnewb questions
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:40:22 -0400

Adam Sjøgren wrote:
I guess the things you can assume have changed as the september rolled
on :-)

  You can assume most people don't get that.

(I sorta do, but not quite. It refers to a famous September when lots of newbies arrived on a college campus and didn't know something, right? Something like AOL allowing lots of newbies onto the Internet without knowing anything about Usenet and etiquette and HTML, etc.?)

The thing is, "ontology recapitulates phylogeny" (an organism's development goes through the same stages evolution took in creating the species, a principle all medical students learn in school) in the real world, but people are just tossed into technology without any preparation at all.

Computers should start out by teaching people what they need to know before offering up huge lists of jargon, such as the names of programs.

--
Marshall Price of Miami
marshallprice@att.net