Re: More gnewb questions

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: More gnewb questions
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:44:46 +0200

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:42:44 -0600, notbob@bb.nothome.com wrote:

> You know what they say about assume.

Any given text must make _some_ assumptions about the reader. Otherwise
every text would have to start with describing what a keyboard and a
monitor is...

I guess the things you can assume have changed as the september rolled
on :-)

> "When Gnus starts, or indeed whenever it tries to determine whether
> new articles have arrived, it reads the SERVER'S active file.

> See.  Not that hard.

Indeed, thank you taking the time to come up with the suggestion.

> I think what did it is, I manually created a .newsrc file and manually
> entered the newsgroups I wanted.  Seems to work perfectly.

Sounds reasonable.

> I think gnus was taking stuff from jed's .jnewsrc file, but don't
> really know.

(I don't think that is very likely.)

> Now, to figure out the .authinfo file. Any emacs mechanism to create
> it, or again, manually. If manual, what format with info?

If examples people have posted here aren't sufficient, you can try
looking here:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_167.html

(found by searching for "site:gnus authinfo" on Google.)

(Emacs is one big mechanism to create text-files! :-))

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Noone stops you                                             Adam Sjøgren
  Like you stop yourself"                                asjo@koldfront.dk