Re: More gnewb questions

From: notbob
Subject: Re: More gnewb questions
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:42:44 -0600

> On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:59:36 GMT, notbob wrote:

>> "When Gnus starts, or indeed whenever it tries to determine whether new
>> articles have arrived, it reads the active file.

> written assuming

You know what they say about assume.

> Feel free to suggest a better wording!

Howzabout:
"When Gnus starts, or indeed whenever it tries to determine whether
new articles have arrived, it reads the SERVER'S active file.

See.  Not that hard.

>   (setq gnus-read-active-file nil)
>
> and start Gnus.

No, I don't think I'll put it in.  For some bizarre reason, gnus is
opening up quickly and accurately, much to my delight, and there is
nothing in the .gnus* files.

I think what did it is, I manually created a .newsrc file and manually
entered the newsgroups I wanted.  Seems to work perfectly.  I think
gnus was taking stuff from jed's .jnewsrc file, but don't really know.
I jes know it opens up like I'd like it to.  Now, to figure out the
.authinfo file.  Any emacs mechanism to create it, or again, manually.
If manual, what format with info?

I jes discovered one of the other reasons I wanted to change to gnus.
When editing quoted text in a follow-up, re-formatting a paragraph
doesn't jumble the quote markers into the text, like jed.  Brilliant!

Dang, and I jes noticed my new text is grn on black like I want it,
not changed to white on black like jed.  Now, if I could just learn
how to set up news so the summary page looks like jeds summary page,
with the arrowed threads.  I know it can be done.  I've seen it.  What
do I need to do?

Thank you
nb