Re: Deficient thread sorting in summary view

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Deficient thread sorting in summary view
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 00:03:06 +0800

On Wed, Jul 11 2012, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
>> Okay, but this doesn't actually work as advertised… I've got:
>>
>> gnus-thread-sort-functions -> ((not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date))
>
> You should always include `gnus-thread-sort-by-number' in the list,
> probably as first (least important) element.

Okay, I added that in, but it didn't make any difference. I eval
gnus-thread-sort-function:

(gnus-thread-sort-by-number (not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date))

That's what it gives me.

> Sorry, from that "screenshot" I cannot even determine which messages
> belong to one thread.  I think the first 3, then the next 2, then 1,
> then 4, right?

Sorry, should have been clearer, but your interpretation is quite
correct. This sorting remains the same even with the above change to
`gnus-thread-sort-by-number'.

> In that case, the two first threads should be below the others...  I
> checked in some mail group here, and for me it works just fine.

Mine doesn't look like yours! The only other thread-related
customization I've got is:

(setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
  'gnus-gather-threads-by-references)

Would that make any difference?

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-07-08 on pellet