Re: Deficient thread sorting in summary view

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Deficient thread sorting in summary view
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:05:21 +0200

>> Is there a chance that you've set a different sorting strategy in the
>> group you used for testing (e.g., as a group parameter which might
>> end up in ~/.newsrc.eld)?  What does `C-h v
>> gnus-thread-sort-functions' in that wrongly sorted summary tell?
>
> It's the same thing thereā€¦ I really don't think I've customized
> anything else.
>
> I've also got:
>
> gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function -> gnus-thread-sort-by-date
>
> Which I'd think was correct.

Ok, here I have the default value `gnus-thread-sort-by-number'.  But
judging from its docs, that should't make a difference with respect to
the sorting between two different threads.  However, you still might
want to try that out.  It could be possible that some summary sorting
code accidentally uses the wrong variable to get the sorting function,
and since nobody customized `gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function' except
for you, it never attracted attention...  (Well, unlikely, but go
ahead.)

Bye,
Tassilo