Re: Deficient thread sorting in summary view

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Deficient thread sorting in summary view
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:32:31 +0800

On Thu, Jul 12 2012, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>> Okay, I added that in, but it didn't make any difference. I eval
>> gnus-thread-sort-function:
>>
>> (gnus-thread-sort-by-number (not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date))
>>
>> That's what it gives me.
>
> Strange, I'm running today's git gnus, but it has worked for me for
> years.
>
>>> In that case, the two first threads should be below the others...  I
>>> checked in some mail group here, and for me it works just fine.
>>
>> Mine doesn't look like yours! The only other thread-related
>> customization I've got is:
>>
>> (setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
>>   'gnus-gather-threads-by-references)
>>
>> Would that make any difference?
>
> No, I have the same.
>
> Is there a chance that you've set a different sorting strategy in the
> group you used for testing (e.g., as a group parameter which might end
> up in ~/.newsrc.eld)?  What does `C-h v gnus-thread-sort-functions' in
> that wrongly sorted summary tell?

It's the same thing thereā€¦ I really don't think I've customized anything
else.

I've also got:

gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function -> gnus-thread-sort-by-date

Which I'd think was correct.

If no one else sees this it must be something I did, but I can't imagine what!

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-07-08 on pellet