Re: setup for imap server with many users

From: Abramov Aleksey
Subject: Re: setup for imap server with many users
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:05:58 +0400

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I fetch mail from several imap accounts  with getmail and deliver to
> dovecot running on my localhost using maildrop.
>
> Now I'd like to configure Gnus to access this email which is stored in
> ~/dovecot/user1@domain1.com
> ~/dovecot/user2@domain2.com etc.
>
> Some parts from my gnus-init.el:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>         '((nnimap "localhost-IMAP"
>                   (nnimap-address "localhost")
>                   (nnimap-stream network)
>                   (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
>                   (nnir-search-engine imap))
>

> but I've problem configuring gnus-parameters.
>
> Tried with something like:
>
> ("^nnimap\\+localhost-IMAP:user1@domain1.com.*"
>
> but cannot figure out the correct regex to select the above-mentioned
> virtual dovecot users?
>
> Moreover, authorization with ~/.authinfo does not work as well.
>
> Here is the entry in it:
>
> machine localhost login user1@domain1.com password somepasswd port 143
>
> I use Emacs/Gnus from Debain Wheezy (23.4.1)
>
> Any hint?
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

I do not recommend this scheme for you. It will be too slow, that you
will run away from Gnus after few months.

I think It would be better to set Maildir backend in you delivery agent,
and then use it by Gnus. But the best decision (as I see it) is to set
`mail-sources' variable, and use `nnml' as your back-end.

,----[ C-h v mail-sources RET ]

`----

--
Sincerely,