Re: setup for imap server with many users

From: Gour
Subject: Re: setup for imap server with many users
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:47:36 +0100

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:04:03 +0000
William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Then what does that have to do with Gnus?  I'm confused.

Well, my mother & wife are going to use Claws, while I want to use
Gnus, but both clients access same Maildir 'pool' served by dovecot.

> It's a problem for Gnus because neither auth-source.el nor Gnus
> supports such configurations well, in terms of the semantics/design
> of the software.

Hmm...

> For auth-source it is expected that there is
> exactly one set of authentication secrets for each machine+protocol
> combination.

Now I really wonder what kind of setup I had in the past that simply
worked...

> For Gnus it is expected that each "select method" (i.e.  server
> definition) designates a particular machine to connect to, or other
> backend; Gnus defers to auth-source for how to log in to that machine,
> including which username to use.

In my gnus-init.el I've:

(setq mail-sources nil)

> The fact that it works in Claws has nothing to do with getting it
> working in Gnus :) Hopefully that clarifies the problem.

Sure...I'm just confused a bit considering it's not very strange to have
several email accounts on different servers and accessing them *all*
within one mail client.

> b) As indicated in the answers to that poster, your maildir-syncing
> tool would be responsible for synchronizing flags to the IMAP server.
> Gnus does move stuff in maildir and set flags in a standard way,
> though.

In my case there is no maildir-syncing tool 'cause I want to keep all my
mail on my localhost machine to which I've physical access.

> I am using Emacs 24 on Debian Sid now but the performance with Emacs
> 23 connecting via nnimap to 2 remote IMAP servers was perfectly fine
> for me.  Certainly not troublesome enough to justify the additional
> complexity of having a local IMAP server in between.

OK.

> The setup would have each of the several IMAP servers listed in
> `gnus-secondary-select-methods', with the authentication secrets for
> each in ~/.netrc or ~/.authinfo or ~/.authinfo.gpg or whatever you use
> as your auth-source file.

I'm trying to put together such setup by following setup described in
posts like:
http://www.cataclysmicmutation.com/2010/11/multiple-gmail-accounts-in-gnus/

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "imap.somewhere.edu"
>         (nnimap-server-port 993)
>         (nnimap-stream ssl))
>        ((nnimap "imap.somewhereelse.com"
>         ...))))
>
> etc. etc. etc.

I've the following in my init file:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '((nnimap "ggdasa"
                  (nnimap-address "localhost")
                  (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "*"))
                  (nnimap-stream network)
                  (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
                  (nnir-search-engine imap))
          (nntp "news.t-com.hr")))

and the following:

(setq gnus-parameters

;;  ggdasa@gmail.com
("^nnimap\+ggdasa:*"
 (posting-style
  (name "Gour")
  (address "ggdasa@gmail.com")
  (signature-file "~/.getmail/ggdasa.signature"))
  (gcc-self . "nnimap+ggdasa:ggdasa.Sent"))) ; ggdasa@gmail.com

but I always get (tried several variations of regexp):

byte-code: Error in ~/.emacs.d/gnus-init.el: ^nnimap+ggdasa:INBOX

and have no clue what is wrong and/or how to access IMAP folders of the
user 'ggdasa' having email in: ~/dovecot/ggdasa/Maildir/*

Any hint?

I've ~/.authinfo with the credentials to login to this account.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As fire is covered by smoke, as a mirror is covered by dust,
or as the embryo is covered by the womb, the living entity is