Re: Standard way to use Gnus?

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: Standard way to use Gnus?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 07:05:08 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm sure everyone has there own preferences on how to use Gnus -- that's
> the essense of Emacs, after all.  However, it's always instructive to
> learn from others and find new methods of using such a powerful tool.
> I've been around Emacs & Gnus for more 30 years (yes, I believe I used
> GNUS when it was written for TECO/Emacs), but I was never an expert in
> its usage.  I still tend to just basically C-n & Space through the
> Summary buffer to read what I'm interested in and never really sat down
> to figure out the more advanced tools in Gnus.
>
> I'm now a little more curious.  The Gnus manual in Emacs is written as a
> reference manual and covers a lot of complicated topics, but not in a
> manner of taking the novice to an expert level step by step.  I'm
> looking for more on why each of the pieces of Gnus exist and examples of
> why I might want to use them.  Is there such a manual around somewhere?

In a word, no!

I have found that the best way to learn is to look at the configuration
used by others and see what use they make of Gnus' amazing flexibility.

What kind of use are you curious about? Do you use Gnus for mail or just
as a newsreader? RSS feeds? Mailing lists? Are you using pop or imap?
Scoring/killing posts? A few clues about possible directions of
travel/interest might elicit more help!

atb

Glyn