Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 14:07:45 +0100

On  5 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
>> On  5 Jan 2016, Gijs Hillenius wrote:
>>

>>> Doing some Gnus imap folders housekeeping this morning, I found that
>>> 8000 messages (called 131940.  131941. etcetera) /hiding/ in the
>>> imap's INBOX. It looks like these are all emails that I've 'deleted'
>>> in Gnus, so they don't show. But for some reason they're not
>>> actually deleted.
>>>
>>> Is this a setting I messed up? I recall there used to be such a
>>> feature, but I don't remember what that was called. I've been
>>> searching the manual for this, so far without the result I hoped to
>>> find.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate a few hints.
>>
>> encouraged by the two replies...
>>
>> I just sent myself two emails (from a throw-away gmail account), and
>> notice that these messages end up on the system twice.
>>
>> My nnimap-split-fancy places them in the correct nnimap mail group,
>> but a "copy" (or perhaps the original) stays in the INBOX, hidden.
>>
>> Does that ring a bell, with anyone?
>
> Is it a Gmail address?
>
> Not that that immediately solves the problem, but it would be useful
> information. Also, what's your Gnus version?

The test email came from gmail. My server is for the vanity domain I'm
currently posting with

Gnus v5.13, in GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (Debian)

a snippet from my server settings:

        (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
        (nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
        (nnimap-unsplittable-articles
         '(%Deleted))

I wonder about that ^^^ last line, I don't actually recognise it.

A summary of my fancy-split (with lots of lines omitted)

(setq nnimap-split-fancy
      '(|
        ("From" "googlealerts.*" "INBOX.google-alerts")
        (any "c[...]" "INBOX.tmp")
        ;; Invoke the BBDB
        (: (lambda ()
             (car (bbdb/gnus-split-method))))