Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 16:54:16 +0800

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  5 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>

> [...]
>
> Earlier I reported:

> [...]
>
> Which I was told could have something to do with

> [...]
>
> And now I wonder:
>
> If my Gnus (5.13, part of Debian's Emacs) copies messages back into the
> INBOX, does fancy-split set the delete/expunge IMAP flag to these?
>
> Because, if it does not flag them for deletion, would that perhaps
> explain why the nightly Cyrus pruning does not do anything? Cyrus is set
> to remove from disk all messages that have been flagged for deletion for
> 3 days.

No, no flags are set. From IMAP's point of view, splitting is simply a
MOVE operation. Sorry, I misspoke earlier when I said the messages were
*copied* back into the same group. They're actually MOVEd. That means
there's only ever one copy of the message, but it gets a new UUID
number each time.

No new flags are set at all.