Re: on automatic gnus-summary-insert-new-articles after posting

From: Robert Girault
Subject: Re: on automatic gnus-summary-insert-new-articles after posting
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 13:00:58 -0300

> Robert Girault <r@dev.null> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> This brings me to a point I've been trying to set up Gnus for. I'd like
>> to keep, for a while, a history of everything I wrote. Saving messages
>> locally isn't good enough because the context is gone. The context is
>> the thread.
>>
>> When I enter a group, I feel lost. I think it's slrn that I've used in
>> the past. When I'd enter a news group, I'd have a clear idea of what's
>> happening---which threads are growing and which are not.
>
> I looked up slrn, and interestingly the author seemed to have written it
> because he found Gnus too slow!

I can't compare it myself.  I run them on different systems.

> I don't know how slrn does it, so I don't know exactly what effect
> you're after. Are you using threading? I've got `gnus-show-threads' set
> to t and `gnus-fetch-old-headers' set to 'some, and that shows me just
> as much context as I want.

Surprisingly perhaps, I feel better without threading, so I turned it
off.  When I wanna see a parent message, I say ^.

>> Also, my way of working is to write articles, but only post them after
>> I've reviewed them. I haven't yet acquired skills enough to do that
>> with Gnus.
>>
>> I know it's possible to save them as drafts and send them later, but I'd
>> like to distinguish between partially written messages from messages
>> queued for delivery.
>
> You can use the agent for this. When you're finished with a message, hit
> "C-c C-j" (gnus-delay-article), and you can choose a future date at
> which the message will send. It won't actually send at that date unless
> you run the `gnus-delay-send-queue' command in the *Group* buffer. That
> might do what you want, though I don't know how easy it is to edit
> messages once you've added them to the queue.

The manual says it will send if I check for new messages, but I'm
thinking I must run gnus-delay-initialize.  I won't turn it on for now.

I'm getting there.  Thanks!

[...]