RE: Vulnerabilities in Synchronous IPC Designs

From: Volkmar Uhlig
Subject: RE: Vulnerabilities in Synchronous IPC Designs
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:35:00 +0200

This heavily depends on the particular client and is just another aspect
of the interface stub, similar to performance.  If you have an interface
which requires wired memory for security reasons you should give this
information to the IDL compiler. Of course it requires certain
interaction with the memory subsystem.  If your IDL specifies that trust
and DoS is an issue the IDL compiler can choose the best optimization,
for example agressively avoid string copy IPC.

Furthermore, alternative methods to deal with timeouts are possible. For
example one could automatically resend the message on a fault, or
alternatively branch into an exception handler.  However, this is an
implementation and optimization detail. As long as the mechanism allows
to deal with the scenario we are fine.

- Volkmar

PS: Espen was a little faster, here my 2 cents anyway...