Re: Vulnerabilities in Synchronous IPC Designs

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: Vulnerabilities in Synchronous IPC Designs
Date: 02 Jun 2003 22:44:17 +0200

Espen Skoglund <address@hidden> writes:

> [Niels Möller]
> > 1. Let xfer-timout=0 mean that the ipc should fail when the first
> >    page fault happens. The communicating threads have to ensure that
> >    their buffers are paged in before theipc call, and remain paged
> >    in during the call. I think this is a minor change to the L4 API.
>
> Does not need an API change.  It's all user-level defined policy;
> i.e., an application can ask its pager to keep some memory pinned.

Ok. I agree that the needed paging management is easy, at least in
theory. In particular if the involved tasks are self-paged anyway (as
I think is the current plan for l4hurd). When I said API-change, I
thought I read in the spec that a xfer-timeout of zero meant that you
couldn't pass any strings at all, but now I can't find that so I guess
I just misread or misremembered the spec.

Regards,
/Niels