Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 14:06:19 +0200

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:23:14AM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> > No, but it would IMO be a case that doesn't need fixing.  If the
> > system administration is so bad that it cannot respond to wishes from
> > the people they're supposed to help, then that's a problem that needs
> > solving, but not in software.
>
> Hurd has to provide Flexibility. Sysadmins should not be the bottleneck
> of the feature's access.

In some cases, they should.  They can decide that some things are not allowed.
The system administrator shouldn't be able to prevent people from doing things
which they do have all the rights for, of course.  An example of this is that
Linux prevents mounting a floppy, even if the user has full access to
/dev/fd/0.

This case is different, because it involves more people.  Here, the system
administrator is blocking the ability of people to collaborate without trust
(in a certain way).  That is, all the people together hold the rights to do
what they want, but they want it without giving the other party full access.

So it seems this requires CPU scheduling donations.  In fact, I suppose that
would be possible, too: The students trust the teacher enough to give their
scheduling capability, so that can be used by the service.  Of course they
give it in a way that they can revoke it later.