Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:12:22 -0400

Okay. Now for a serious attempt to answer Marcus's challenge
*technically*.

His challenge was:

> Propose a use case for non-trivial confinement.

But was later modified to:

> Propose a use case for non-trivial confinement **that is of interest
> to the Hurd**.

I do not know how to answer the second part. I propose instead to answer
with use cases that I believe are positively socially compelling and
that the Hurd should not exclude.

I have some examples, but before I can answer this challenge sensibly, I
need to offer a *technical* description of how "trivial confinement" is
different from the EROS Constructor. Trivial confinement is profoundly
(and deliberately) weaker. This may actually be good for Marcus's
objectives, but it seems useful to understand precisely what is being
lost technically, and what impact this may have in practice.

So I will start a new thread for this first.