Re: Part 2: System Structure

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Part 2: System Structure
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:37:00 +0200

Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 19/05/2006 hora 00:40:
> But currently any program can be reverse engineered, because in order
> to execute it, you get the binary (this is true for things which run
> on your own computer).

No, this is not true locally on a system. At least under Linux and
probably under all existing Unices, just give execute permission without
read permission on a binary, and it will happily run for you, without
being inspectable.

So in this matter, the constructor is not a loss of freedom in any way.
It's just a cleaner way of enforcing this kind of system policy.

> We _could_ implement some new protections for people who make
> proprietary software.  If we do, they're happy and might demand the
> same protection from other systems.  If we don't, they won't even know
> that it's possible.

You're late, they already know it's possible, because it *is* possible
in other systems...

Correctively,
Nowhere man
--