Re: Part 2: System Structure

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Part 2: System Structure
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:23:37 -0400

I would say this in a different way, because your description leads to
black and white conclusions about a cost-driven issue.

Any guarantee made by the OS depends on assumptions about the hardware.
These assumptions are neither perfectly nor imperfectly fulfilled. The
right way to think about them is that a given piece of hardware imposes
some dollar cost to violate them.

For a non-TPM machine, the cost lies in the know-how to install a
debugger into a VM-based system. This is not high in dollars, but it is
complicated enough that it is too expensive for most users. For some
content providers, this cost is "good enough".

The TPM raises the cost by requiring installation of an ICE (~$40,000
for a really good one) or a monitoring board (~$10,000). This again
requires rare knowledge to use. IMHO, the know-how costs are far higher
than the hardware costs, so it is not clear in practice whether TPM is
actually changing the economic issues significantly. I have long
suspected that the *real* role of TPM in all this is raising the
confidence of the content vendors rather than providing seriously
hardened security.

shap