Re: Part 2: System Structure

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Part 2: System Structure
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 01:12:39 +0200

Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 24/05/2006 hora 13:33:
> I believe that there are many good and interesting applications where
> the instantiation operation influences heavily the process composition
> operation

Could you name one?

I wouldn't consider the LD_LIBRARY_* examples of process composition
influence, but merely process interfaces virtualization ones. They may
actually influence process composition incidentally because of the way
Unix composes processes.

And I don't see where the constructor would get in the way of
LD_LIBRARY_* features anyway.

> Programs are run in specially prepared sessions, like ltrace, strace
> (Unix), rpctrace (Hurd), fakeroot, to observe or control their
> behaviour.

Then again, this has nothing to do with the process itself, but with
it's interfaces to the outside, IMHO. In these cases, the constructor
would only get in the way where the system policy mandates that these
programs should not be able to operate.

Of course, I want a component that enforces policy to get in the way of
actions that would break the policy.

> In the end, I want to make all types of virtualization and debugging
> very easy. The constructor sometimes makes them harder, by putting a
> piece of infrastructure in the way of achieving these goals.

I don't see where, except where the administrator would want to.

Curiously,
Nowhere man
--
address@hidden