for the "love of HURD"

From: arnuld
Subject: for the "love of HURD"
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:50:23 +0530

i know i have already posted 2 long-emails & i still think i need to
post this one:

"True, linux is monolithic, and I agree that microkernels are nicer. With
a less argumentative subject, I'd probably have agreed with most of what
you said. From a theoretical (and aesthetical) standpoint linux looses.
If the GNU kernel had been ready last spring, I'd not have bothered to
even start my project: the fact is that it wasn't and still isn't. Linux
wins heavily on points of being available now."

-- Linus Torvalds

[http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/appa.html]

today, i spent whole day searching the archives of mailing lists & i
came across "The Mercury Project" and "House":

http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/index.html
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~hallgren/ICFP2005/

i think i know just 0.1% of OS development :-( but i am ready for hard
work. i also read a lot about MINIX3. folks *out* there really doing
lots of work to achieve their goals but i agree we here, also have to
support our families, like me and that eats lots of time & energy & we
get little of both to focus on HURD, it is really sad but truth of
life.

i get only a few replies from folks here and i have not seen "Marcus"
and "Neal" here. i wish they could comment. i think HURD can be done.
researchers in diffeent parts of the world are doing research &
showing results, +ve and -ve both. if they can do from scratch, we can
do it (in fact GNU is already ahead as we have written a large number
of high-quality softwares)

so i propose, again, the "construction of our own micrkernel for HURD"

(i will not post any proposal after this, i know if anybody is
interested in giving a reply he will reply. BTW, i also do not like &
it does not make sense for posting these things again and again or
more than 2 times )

thanks anyway

-- arnuld
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/