Re: for the "love of HURD"

From: Richard Braun
Subject: Re: for the "love of HURD"
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:29:39 +0100

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 05:50:23PM +0530, arnuld wrote:
> so i propose, again, the "construction of our own micrkernel for HURD"

The problem is simple : we can't begin anything until we know what we
want, until goals and ways to achieve them are designed and apply well.
This is still not the case. It looks like we're not far from this point,
but we haven't reached it yet.

Please understand that development isn't a matter of "I suggest we write
our own microkernel" or "Coyotos is sexy, let's use it !". This
mailing-list exists to allow people to talk about design decisions,
implementation details, that sort of things. If you don't include
technical details about writing a new microkernel and why it's a good
idea, it is somehow useless... Of course many people already thought
about writing a new microkernel... But just imagine one of the L4
kernels gets better, suitable enough for the Hurd, and that hurd-l4
is restarted, this would be far better than beginning a new kernel...

If you don't know much about system development, I suggest you get better.
Study, work on existing projects, create your own if you want. But please,
don't ask others to do what you want if you don't know what you're talking
about enough to make such suggestions.

--
Richard Braun