Re: for the "love of HURD"

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: for the "love of HURD"
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:54:16 -0500

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 19:35 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> The Hurd does not belong to the FSF in anyway.  The FSF might be the
> copyright holders, but they are not the owners of the Hurd.  Anyone
> can take the Hurd and make a fork of it, and many users have their own
> private versions of the Hurd with their local hacks.

Alfred: the copyright holder is, in law the holder of rights in the
work. Legally, they are the owner. I was not making a negative statement
about the community or the way it operates. I was making a statement
about the legal status of ownership (technically: rights-holdership) of
the work of collective authorship that constitutes the Hurd code.

shap