libreplanet-discuss

Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 08:56:31 +0800

Hi Jim,

1. I'm embarrassed to say that as a dues-paying member of the FSF since 2009, I didn't know there's a team of volunteers who can help compose a response until this post from you!

Since the paper I linked to was from 2017, the journal will certainly accept for consideration, but likely not agree to publish a rebuttal. It will likely not be considered sufficiently "impactful" or to have immediate relevance. I would disagree and indeed have strong opinions on the sad state of academic publishing, but that's a topic for a whole other thread.

*HOWEVER*, I really like your suggestion of a rebuttal in general. Statements like the one I quoted in that paper occasionally pop up in newer papers (especially with the current move towards "open science", which comes with its own set of well-intentioned but oft-misguided suggestions). Perhaps we should craft a rebuttal anyway, submit it to the journal of that 2017 paper, and even if it doesn't get published we can create a template for future uses?

Generally speaking, I've seen the following typical scenarios in academic papers that discuss open science: (a) "Publish your code so that your work is reproducible!" without any mention of licenses; (b) "Make your code open source and remember to use a 'permissive' license because GPL == bad", which is the situation described in my original post; and (c) and combination of the other two but also includes lots of proprietary suggestions such as using proprietary languages (e.g. Matlab), proprietary toolchains (e.g. Apple Xcode, Microsoft Visual Studio), and proprietary platforms (e.g. GitHub, Slack, Trello, etc.).

So going a step further, maybe we can craft template response to each situation? Submitting a rebuttal to the 2017 paper can just be "practice" and to see how a typical academic journal would respond so that we can iterate on the template.

What do you think? I'd be happy to help you and the team if folks are keen on this idea. There are so many well-meaning academics who are sadly simply completely ignorant on software freedom and licensing issues.

2. What a great anecdote from the LLVM project and example of how copyleft also benefits developers who care about freedom. The academic in me wishes there's a citable source, haha! Hopefully someone else remembers where it came from?

4. "We haven't lost the debate; we haven't *had* the debate. Just getting the question on the table would be a success." - This is a much more positive way of looking at things, thank you!