libreplanet-discuss

Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Pedro Lucas Porcellis
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 22:44:37 -0300

> That's really cool! I knew that sourcehut is aiming to be a fully free
> replacement for platforms like GitHub, but had wrongly assumed it to use a
> permissive license. One more good example of a business around copyleft free
> software (maybe we should keep a list!)

Yeah, that's a good idea actually. I think the Software Freedom
Conservancy keeps a list, but I don't really know.

> > I think this is all deeply related to how we structure ourself as
> > society and depoliticization of the free software movement.
> >
> > I hope it made sense, I wrote in a bit of a hurry while writing
> > proprietary software for companies that literally throw thousands of
> > pesticides in my country's food.
> Can you elaborate what you mean my depoliticization? It sounds vaguely
> interesting but I can't quite put a finger on what you're saying.

Sorry, I don't really know if this is even a word in other languages,
maybe the correct term would be unpolitization? Anyway, it basically
means taking the political/ideological part of a social phenomenon. The
free software movement was coopted into a more commercial movement when
terms like open-source emerged with force and has been embraced by -
almost all - megacorps today.