libreplanet-discuss

Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 09:55:21 +0800

On 9/25/20 9:44 AM, Pedro Lucas Porcellis wrote:
That's really cool! I knew that sourcehut is aiming to be a fully free
replacement for platforms like GitHub, but had wrongly assumed it to use a
permissive license. One more good example of a business around copyleft free
software (maybe we should keep a list!)

Yeah, that's a good idea actually. I think the Software Freedom
Conservancy keeps a list, but I don't really know.

I just checked, and indeed the Software Freedom Conservancy has a list of supported projects. Is that what you're referring to? However, it's not clear to me if those projects represent diverse and successful models of financial sustainability.

I think this is all deeply related to how we structure ourself as
society and depoliticization of the free software movement.

Can you elaborate what you mean my depoliticization? It sounds vaguely
interesting but I can't quite put a finger on what you're saying.

Sorry, I don't really know if this is even a word in other languages,
maybe the correct term would be unpolitization? Anyway, it basically
means taking the political/ideological part of a social phenomenon. The
free software movement was coopted into a more commercial movement when
terms like open-source emerged with force and has been embraced by -
almost all - megacorps today.
Ah I understand now, thank you. I think you're making largely the same point as this (?):

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html