libreplanet-discuss

Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 07:10:55 +0300

* Pen-Yuan Hsing <penyuanhsing@gmail.com> [2020-09-28 05:30]:
> > Maybe it is this one:
> > https://github.blog/2015-03-09-open-source-license-usage-on-github-com/
>
> That could very well be it, thank you for finding it! While there is a
> substantial number of copyleft-licensed software shown in that graph, they
> are in a clear minority.

But one thing you need to consider, that is Github.

GPL software today is more than ever, that is the fact too!

Github is one service for free software, not quite aligned with free
software purposes.

Measuring only statistics from Github is definitely incorrect
statistics for GPL. You get wrong, inadequate, inaccurate results, and
then we all spend time discussing about it.

The main statistics for GPL is how many new GPL licensed software is
being released per month. If it goes faster or slower, that is the
statistics, and it is hard to measure that by looking only into GPL.

I have entered my Debian server, and I found majority of software to
be GPL licensed. That is one obvious contradictory example, and good
one, so that you even stop looking into fake statistics.

admin-> find . -name copyright -exec grep -l "Free Software Foundation" {} \;
|wc
    964     964   25232

admin-> find . -name copyright -exec grep -l "Regents" {} \; |wc
    195     195    4659

Of course I have not installed all the Debian software, so this
statistics is also not correct. But among that software that is
installed on server, the GPL is clearly majority.

Jean