Re: $ in source file names

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: $ in source file names
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:50:42 -0800

Tom Tromey wrote:
> Alexandre> [...] in fact, until libtool supports correctly
> Alexandre> file names containing `$' and line-feeds, I won't be
> Alexandre> convinced we do the right thing regarding single-evaluation
> Alexandre> of arguments.
>
> And as Alexandre knows, we've already run into problems regarding `$'
> in names when testing libgcj.  Java tends to end up with file names
> like this due to how inner classes are implemented.

Well, here's a start.  To get there most comprehensibly (and
efficiently), libtool needs to be a binary wrapper around the
various tools.  Attached is an initial step in that direction.
It is a tarball of some experimental code that I wish to install
into a new branch of libtool.  As it is not integrated, it must
be used as follows:

1.  apply the included patch to libtool.m4 and rebuild libtool
2.  copy the ltconfig.x file into the ltmain directory
3.  Make sure version 5.1.x of AutoGen is installed and in
    your search path.
4.  cd to the ltmain directory and:

        make -f ltmain.mk

5.  replace the `libtool' script in some project with this binary
6.  Replace its Makefile invocations in that project:

       sed 's,\$(SHELL) \$(top,$(top,' Makefile > X && mv X Makefile

7.  Play with it and make suggestions

================

I propose it be integrated with libtool as a subdirectory
(``libtool.dir''??)
The Makefile.am in that directory would direct the regeneration of the
generated files (requiring AutoGen to work with it).  The directory
would contain the autoopts sources required to build.  The libtool
installation would contain these files, but *not* the Makefile.am.
Instead, it would need a compile script that would be runnable during
configure time.  If the build failed or yielded an unworkable binary,
then a script libtool would be installed per current custom.

I propose also some discussion before I really do anything :-)
Hence, the attached tarball.

 - Bruce