Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool for cygwin upd

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool for cygwin updates]
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:16:08 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> > > I have applied the following to HEAD (and similar to MLB).
> >
> > Why also MLB?  Was it really broken there too?  I ask, because I
> > _definitely_ got multiple libraries in link commands.
>
> Try out the new depdemo-dups.test on an old libtool script, and you'll see
> what I mean.  Perhaps I have found and fixed a similar but different bug?

I see.  Argh, This then again means, that libtool will probably generate
excessively large link commands for KDE.  We sometimes list also dependent
libs in the makefiles (history and lazyness), and this then cumulates over
many libraries.  Hmm, OK I need to check, if this really is so, but I
suspect it.  Furthermore it really makes no sense to _not_ remove
duplicates for shared libs (it only applies to archives), because anyway
only the first one is searched for undefined symbols.

Ciao,
Michael.