Re: libtool doesn't allow "make DESTDIR=`pwd`/foo install" anymore.

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: libtool doesn't allow "make DESTDIR=`pwd`/foo install" anymore.
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:11:09 -0600

Obviously, I can't invest the time to bugshoot all these applications that won't compile, about which I have been emailed by many people in this list during the past 2 hours.

I can add this information, however.

I achieved this success with the newer automake and autoconf,
$ rpm -q automake
automake-1.5-1pj
address@hidden fs]$ rpm -q autoconf
autoconf-2.52-1pj

which are also in my software directory. I did not try to rebuild an SRPM file with this libtool, instead I started from a source tree and did the automake/autoconf ritual to create the tarball, and built the RPM from there.

It easily could be true that tarballs or SRPMS that were built with old versions of libtool and automake/autoconf do not rebuild with the current libtool. Maybe some libtool maintainers will enter this thread and tell us their expectations.

Other than to say "this worked in the case I tested" I am not making any claims about the setup.

It seems to me that if you want to rebuild an RPM from an SRPM that was compiled with the old libtool, your easiest path is to stick to the old libtool.

pj