Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32

From: David Olofson
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:50:42 +0200

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 13:05, Max Bowsher wrote:
[...]
> I think the correct approach is to use a libfoo.dll.a if it is present,

Agreed.

> and do funny impgen stuff if it is not.

Just not as funny as the current approach. This "compile at library build
time using HOST_CC" must *really* die, IMO.

For some strange reason, I managed to get libtool to use the right CC,
but that didn't help, as gcc sent incorrect flags to as. Still don't know
why this happens.

For now, I've compiled and installed impgen manually, and hacked
libtool.m4 to just run it. Works great.

Somehow, I can't see why having:

    extract_expsyms_cmds='test -f $output_objdir/impgen.c || \
      sed -e "/^# \/\* impgen\.c starts here \*\//,/^# \/\* impgen.c ends
here \*\// { s/^# //;s/^# *$//; p; }" -e d < $''0 >
$output_objdir/impgen.c~
      test -f $output_objdir/impgen.exe || (cd $output_objdir && \
      if test "x$HOST_CC" != "x" ; then $HOST_CC -o impgen impgen.c ; \
      else $CC -o impgen impgen.c ; fi)~
      $output_objdir/impgen $dir/$soroot > $output_objdir/$soname-def'

(sorry 'bout the wrapping...) in libtool.m4, when you could build impgen
during the installation, and then use something like:

    extract_expsyms_cmds='impgen $dir/$soroot >$output_objdir/$soname-def'

Right, it's not a great idea to fix something the wrong way - but then
again, we're talking about something that's *really* broken, inconcistent
(any one else cares about HOST_CC...?), and a major PITA for a great
number of users. (I might be the first, but even the established
workarounds failed on my setup...)

And now I'm not even sure if anyone knows what the correct solution would
be... What now?

//David Olofson --- Programmer, Reologica Instruments AB