Re: Libtool 2.1a ported to SkyOS, how to test?

From: Robert Szeleney
Subject: Re: Libtool 2.1a ported to SkyOS, how to test?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:22:05 +0200

> OK, first thing here: compiling ltdl.lo has these spurious errors:

/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.
-g -O2 -c -o ltdl.lo ltdl.c
mkdir .libs
rm: cannot remove directory `': Is a directory
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -O2 -c ltdl.c  -DPIC -o .libs/ltdl.o
rm: cannot remove directory `': Is a directory

Fixed. This was a kernel bug when trying to delete '' (rm -f ltdl.o '' ). It returned EISDIR rather then ENOENT

Did you change ltmain.in or ltmain.sh in any way?
You can run
No, not at all

As far as I can see, we need to discuss several questions before we can
fix this:

- does skyos have drive letters like w32?  If not, the logic can be
  simplified considerably.
No. You can think of SkyOS as a unix system when it comes to the filesystem layout and available tools. A *nix emulation layer inside the kernel emulates a *nix environment by providing the well known *nix filesystem layout (/bin, /usr/, /etc, .....) as well as linking all available GNU tools into this locations. Same for the environment variables. The only real difference is the executable file format which is PE in SkyOS. Note: If there is anything missing, like an environment variable, essential directory, gcc configuration, ... then I can easily fix this and make it available in the next distribution.

- how does the runtime linker find DLLs?  Is there a special variable
  for it (shlibpath_var, for example LD_LIBRARY_PATH) or does it abuse
  $PATH for this?  If not the latter, you don't need the hacks done for
  cygwin to install a DLL in some bindir.
The runtime linker looks in following folders is this order:
- /boot/sytem/dll (primary location for DLLs)
- /lib
- /usr/lib
- /usr/local/lib
- LD_LIBRARY_PATH

What you can do is post  `./libtool --config' output.
Better even, go through every such variable, try to understand its
purpose, and then try to think whether it needs to be adjusted for
skyos.  There is some documentation about them in doc/libtool.texi,
and some inline in libtool.m4.  Then post your results, and we shall
see how we can munge that into a proper patch to support skyos.
Attached.

I'm going through every variable currently. I already found sys_lib_search_path_spec and sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec which are not set correctly.

Thanks,
Robert!