Re: configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet

From: R. Diez
Subject: Re: configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:35:57 +0100

> [...]

> Why is <insert any configure script> searching for <xyzzy> on

> platform <gazonk> when <xyzzy> isn't available there?
>     <pause>
> Because it's the autoconf way! It's not a bug.
> [...]

First of all, thanks for your answer.

At the moment, "autoconf's way" means generating a pointless warning or
alternatively forcing the user to come up with some work-around to deal with a
platform-specific issue. Imagine each platform had a special tool. How many
symlinks or variables should the user set?

There must be a better way. autoconf knows it is cross-compiling and can
probably find out that the current target is not cygwin or Windows. In my
opinion, it should not try to find a tool that it will never use anyway with
the current configuration.

Cheers,
  rdiez