Re: (patch) Adds a note about installing on FreeBSD

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: (patch) Adds a note about installing on FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 06:13:48 -0700

On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:29:17 +0200
Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Isn't it better to actually help configure find Python?
>
> As far as I can see, USE_PYTHON isn't used anywhere in
> Lilypond (at least not in version 1.7.18). What problem
> does your instruction solve and what version is it relevant
> for?

Here's the information I received, from somebody who uses FreeBSD:
-----
  Well, if you ever get the newbie question "how do I get it to install
on FreeBSD", here's the answer: The port doesn't properly check for the
existance of Python, so you need to `make USE_PYTHON=yes all install`.
-----

Judging from the FreeBSD website, it appears that the version of
Lilypond in their ports collection is 1.6.0.  I'm not familiar with the
FreeBSD Ports collection, so I don't know if they simply use Lilypond's
configure or whether there's an extra freebsd-specific dependency
check.  This problem could have been caused from improper porting of
Python.

In case it isn't clear, this error occurs when using the FreeBSD port
collection, not when compiling/installing Lilypond directly from source.
As I said originally, this information might not be worth putting into
INSTALL.txt, but I thought that including the information woudn't hurt.

I don't know anything else about this matter, but I could forward any
other questions to him.  Should I re-write the INSTALL.txt entry to be
more clear than I'm talking about the FreeBSD Port, rather than actual
Lilypond source?  Or is it not worth including at all?