Re: organization of input/

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: organization of input/
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:32:44 +0200

mutopia: are these examples used in the manual for specific things, or
are they just included for general examples?  If they're just general
examples, then I suggest simply linking to Mutopia and letting people
browse through Mutopia, rather than including a few examples.  (I know
that the mutopia/ stuff has been there for a long time, and it made
sense to do it when mutopia only had a few files; but now that it has
270+ or so, we might as well point people to the real thing.)

I think it's a good idea to keep a few full examples of what Lilypond
can do with the distribution, since then you are certain that the
example you look at was actually produced by the specific Lilypond
version. If you go to Mutopia and pick a score at random, it may have
been produced with Lilypond 1.2 or 1.4 or whatever. Note that the
examples from the mutopia directory are included on the WWW page
if you click on the Examples link.

I know that when I was a newbie, I never thought to look in input/
for examples and tricks.  I know that we've added a link to
"input/test" under the "information for users" section, but as far
as I know, there's no similar links to input/mutopia and other
examples under the input/ tree.

When answering questions on the mailing list, I keep giving hints
about these examples all the time. I think they are one of the best
sources of information.

    /Mats