organization of input/

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: organization of input/
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:34:50 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> I have a few questions about various subdirs of input/ and what they're
> intended to do.

First of all - I suggest not to move around files and esp. directories
before you're sure, since moving around files in CVS is a lot of
hassle.

> ascii-art: most of these files depend on "paper-as{5,9}.ly", but I can
> only find "paper-as{5,6}-init.ly".  Is this dir a relic from ancient
> times, or can Lilypond seriously produce ascii art (and just lost the
> translation between paper-as5-init.ly and paper-as5.ly)?

It could at some point, but is probably broken now.  I also fear that
discussing it further will cause even more time to be invested in this
useless feature. I vote for removing AS and related things.

> mutopia: are these examples used in the manual for specific things, or
> are they just included for general examples?  If they're just general
> examples, then I suggest simply linking to Mutopia and letting people
> browse through Mutopia, rather than including a few examples.  (I know
> that the mutopia/ stuff has been there for a long time, and it made
> sense to do it when mutopia only had a few files; but now that it has
> 270+ or so, we might as well point people to the real thing.)

They are general examples, showing "real-life" usage of lilypond.
They are all submitted to mutopia (or should be, anyway).
They are always up-to-date regarding syntax and feature use.

I think the mutopia examples should be trimmed further to show only
one piece in each style (1 solo piece, 1 piano piece, 1 song, etc.),
furthermore, we must retain all "benchmark" pieces (mozart horn3,
baerenreiter sarabande).

> sondag-morgen: is this an example, and if so, is it linked from the
> manual, tutorial, or similar document?

It's been removed out of the tarball over copyright concerns. It
should probably also leave CVS.

> test: on the web site, this is linked as "tips and tricks".  Might it
> be a good idea to call the dir "tricks/" rather than "test/"?  (I know
> it might be difficult to change the name in all the buildscripts; maybe
> it isn't worth changing the name)

> While I'm editing input/test, what should I do if I find a file that
> doesn't demonstrate a trick (and instead appears to test some Lilypond
> feature)?  Should I move it to input/regression?

Yes, but it can only enter input/regression if it has a docstring
explaining exactly what feature is tested.

> Mark it for possible
> deletion?
> (for example, input/test/beams.ly -- it looks nice, but I don't think
> anything in there is particularly `tricky' or demonstrates anything
> particularily difficult)

For this example, I suggest that it be deleted. If beams stop
functioning, we'll find out very quickly anyway.

> In general, do we expect users to browse through input/ (or various
> subsections of input/, such as input/test and input/mutopia), or do
> expect users to only use the HTML files?

I think browsing through the file system is pointless, since it
doesn't show the output.

> I know that when I was a newbie, I never thought to look in input/
> for examples and tricks.  I know that we've added a link to
> "input/test" under the "information for users" section, but as far
> as I know, there's no similar links to input/mutopia and other
> examples under the input/ tree.

input/mutopia is linked as "Examples".