Re: organization of input/

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: organization of input/
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 04:34:42 -0700

On Tue, 27 May 2003 13:34:50 +0200
Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > I have a few questions about various subdirs of input/ and what
> > they're intended to do.
>
> First of all - I suggest not to move around files and esp. directories
> before you're sure, since moving around files in CVS is a lot of
> hassle.

I definately won't be moving directories around without asking.  And I
realize that renaming (well, cvs rm and cvs add) files loses the
changelog.  :(   I will double-check the files before renaming them.

> > mutopia: are these examples used in the manual for specific things,
> > or are they just included for general examples?  If they're just
>
> I think the mutopia examples should be trimmed further to show only
> one piece in each style (1 solo piece, 1 piano piece, 1 song, etc.),
> furthermore, we must retain all "benchmark" pieces (mozart horn3,
> baerenreiter sarabande).

Ok.  If nobody does it before then, I'll have a look through
input/mutopia with that in mind.  I assume that, other than the
benchmark pieces you mentioned, you want relatively short examples?
(for example, Mutopia has a number of Mozart string quartets that are
20+ pages in score.  I assume that it would be more useful to have a
smaller example (say, two pages) so that it's easier to understand the
whole thing)

> > sondag-morgen: is this an example, and if so, is it linked from the
> > manual, tutorial, or similar document?
>
> It's been removed out of the tarball over copyright concerns. It
> should probably also leave CVS.

Ok.  Should I do that, or do you want to?

> > While I'm editing input/test, what should I do if I find a file that
> > doesn't demonstrate a trick (and instead appears to test some
> > Lilypond feature)?  Should I move it to input/regression?
>
> Yes, but it can only enter input/regression if it has a docstring
> explaining exactly what feature is tested.

Ok.

> > Mark it for possible
> > deletion?
> > (for example, input/test/beams.ly -- it looks nice, but I don't
> > think anything in there is particularly `tricky' or demonstrates
> > anything particularily difficult)
>
> For this example, I suggest that it be deleted. If beams stop
> functioning, we'll find out very quickly anyway.

Ok.  For now I'll just mark the files slated for deletion; once I've
gone through the whole dir, I'll post the list here (along with reasons)
and ask if it's ok to delete them.
(I'll still cvs rm/cvs add to rename files once I'm certain that the new
name is the best one; it's just the permenant deletions that I'll wait
and ask about)

> > I know that when I was a newbie, I never thought to look in input/
> > for examples and tricks.  I know that we've added a link to
> > "input/test" under the "information for users" section, but as far
> > as I know, there's no similar links to input/mutopia and other
> > examples under the input/ tree.
>
> input/mutopia is linked as "Examples".

Oops, sorry.