Re: summary of bugs/feature reqs from lilypond-user?

From: Guy Shaviv
Subject: Re: summary of bugs/feature reqs from lilypond-user?
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 08:55:10 -0800

A missing feature that cam up in several emails is lack of support in lilypond
for classical guitar
music. The missing features are:

1. Barre symbol: This is marked with a "C" and a fret number in roman
numericals (e.g. C IV) and
for a partial barre the number of strings to block (e.g. C IV 4/6). The mark is
written above the
staff with a line spanning over the notes through which the barre is held.

2. String symbol. This is a number inside a circle that is usually written
above the note. When
several notes are played on the same string there is also a line that spans the
notes which are to
be played on the marked string.

3. fingering. Guitar music needs two simultanious fingering instructions for
each note, a left
hand and a right hand fingering. Not always are both supplied but often they
are. The left hand
is marked with the numbers 1,2,3,4 and is usually placed to the left of the
note head or right
above it. The right hand fingering is marked with the letters p,i,m,a (and e
for flamenco music)
they are marked above or below the note stem (much like the current piano
fingering works).

4. Chord strumming instructions. Chords can be strumed in two directions, from
the low strings
to the high strings or vice versa. This is marked either by a little up or down
arrow above the
chord or by an up or down arrow just before the chord across the entire staff.

--
Guy Shaviv