Re: [bug?] \lyricsto with lyrics above notes

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: [bug?] \lyricsto with lyrics above notes
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:04:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, Graham!

Currently, I do not know of any better way to set up a SATB score, but if
I develop some, I will send you a notice.  For the moment, I would like to
suggest the following changes:

* Remove any durations from \lyrics definitions whenever only \lyricsto is
  applied (e.g., in section 3.3.1, replace "hi4" with "hi", "ha4" with
  "ha", etc.).  Because, lily ignores these durations anyway, and
  specifying durations where lily ignores them only confuses the reader
  of the manual.

* Add a note that lilypond ignores any durations specified in
  \lyrics mode, if the lyrics are used via the \lyricsto mechanism.
  Section 5.11.4 might be a proper place for adding such a note.

* Maybe Mats' notes on the principles behind the "{ s4 }" trick could be
  added to the manual (e.g. in section 5.11.4), at least as long as we do
  not have a cleaner solution.

Probably I will have to add some templates of my own to section 3, in
particular templates for ancient notation (or should these go into
section 5.17 like the template in 5.17.10?) as well as templates for
transcription of mensural music and Gregorian chant (the current template
in section 3.5.2 has some flaws).  Hopefully, next week I will find some
time to write these templates.

Greetings,
Jürgen