Re: battle-plan for 2.5 development

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: battle-plan for 2.5 development
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:11:17 +0100

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 18.02, Juergen Reuter wrote:
> * Whenever an editing command on the command line is executed, the
>   musical contents changes, i.e. the gnome canvas may need to be updated.
>   In the very first approach, you would completely execute everything
>   starting with lily's processing stage on the modified scheme content.
>   Howver, this approach will result in poor performance and flickering on
>   the screen.  In a more refined version, you may want to think about
>   incremental compiler techniques that take into account that only a small
>   part of the music has been modified (but this is another big project, I
>   guess...).
>
> Yes, I know, this all sounds like work for a couple of years.  I do not
> really expect someone to actually implement such a beast (although it
> would be really cool).  ;-)

To me, what makes Han-Wen's plans on World Domination sound quite achievable,
is that if the native output mode is written generic enough, it would be
possible to create a 'liblilypond'. Existing GPLed music notation programs
could use this for their output to the screen. This way, lilypond would not
grow to a beast; main focus could still remain on beautiful music
typesetting, there would only have to be a lib interface as opposed to a
builtin GUI.

I can imagine that in a program like rosegarden, the implementation could be
that when you create a new note, this is first placed on the screen by some
simple & fast drawing routine, without the use of lilypond, and then there
could exists a button somewhere to do a complete redraw (i.e. re-align
everything). But that's just a guess.

Erik