RE: battle-plan for 2.5 development

From: Ralph Little
Subject: RE: battle-plan for 2.5 development
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:35:04 -0000

Hi,
I agree with all of that.
When I said that I found Cygwin installation clunky, I actually didn't
find it a big problem.
Being a programmer, I shouldn't really ;)

It just seems to me that any "perceived" barrier to installation ease
should be reduced to encourage more general acceptance of the software.
Also, I'm not sure what would be involved with "boxing up" Lily for easy
one-shot installation from a CD.

However, I wholeheartedly agree with your assertion that the biggest
bridge to cross is the non-mousey nature of the software, which is
doubly large for non-techy musicians that have not encountered
programming work. This could be tackled by some kind of online
interactive tutorial that the user could launch into after installation.
I would imagine that the first few minutes of use are crucial in
convincing the skeptical user that this is the route they should be
taking.

What I would think that most users are interested in is:
        * Speed
        * Quality of output
        * Learning curve

If we can visibly overcome these perceived issues then I can see mass
takeup of this superb software...

Another issue for prospective users is the pace of change of Lilypond,
especially in terms of the syntax.
Even for a user like myself (and many other) that tries to stay
up-to-date, the pace of change can be quite breathtaking.

I have seen comments from Han-Wen and others regarding the probably
stabilisation of the syntax now, which is a good thing for users
generally and removes a potential barrier to upgrade.

Regards,
Ralph

--------------------------------------
address@hidden
www.tribaldata.co.uk
...or see what I do in my spare time:
www.skelmanthorpeband.org
--------------------------------------

"Man who shoot off mouth... expect to lose face."

---------
Tribal Data Solutions has moved, please visit our website for more details
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk.
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are sent on the basis of
our copyright, e-mail and security policy which can be inspected by visiting
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk/policies.asp.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this
message. Thank you.