Re: battle-plan for 2.5 development

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: battle-plan for 2.5 development
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:10:06 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> > - the most important feature for professional Windoze users, the killer
> > feature so to say, would be a competent payed-for support. This is what
> > makes the difference between a good open source program and a successful
> > good open source program.
>
> Do you have any concrete idea or wish what this support should
> encompass?

Well, I'd think of an email-based (and for much money also phone-based)
support for *users*, i.e people who don't want to be bothered with a
compiler, but have to get work done. Ideally the questions would be
answered by persons who know lily in her deepest core, and if bigger
problems arise, also travel to the customers (for good money, of course!).

Why do I think that this is a killer feature? In my experience, Windows
users just don't expect to be helped. Microsoft's phone support has seen
to that. Everytime I work for Windows users (I am part of a small IT
company), they seem very surprised that I actually want to help them!

I just don't think that you can do that full-time. Not yet anyway.

Ciao,
Dscho