Re: battle-plan for 2.5 development

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: battle-plan for 2.5 development
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:43:41 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes
On 5-Nov-04, at 4:49 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
WEBSITE

The current website is a lot better than we had; I'm glad it has some
interesting articles, and that it refreshes a lot (basically, for
every Lilypond release), but it could be much more the center of a
community.

For this reason, I think that lilypond.org should become a database
driven website, where users can log-in, post comments, contribute
articles and give the development team instant feedback on releases,
documentation, etc.

What's wrong with the mailing lists?  They provide instant feedback
on releases, documentation, comments, etc.  If somebody wants to
commit and article but doesn't want to code the HTML himself (and
doesn't want to use an editor -> HTML creator like OpenOffice), then
I'll volunteer to edit their plaintext article into HTML.

While it's nice to have BOTH email AND a good website, taking an either/or approach will disenfranchise a lot of users. For example, a mailing list I'm on recently rehosted. Because my mail server is behind a NAT firewall, the mail-list server refuses to talk to it and I can no longer post.

The result is, I've just dropped off the radar because although there is also a website, I almost never go there. (Not many other people do, either, I don't think.)

A working email list is a damn sight better than a web forum, imnsho.

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.