Re: battle-plan for 2.5 development

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: battle-plan for 2.5 development
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:55:38 +0100

Now when you can simply double-click on a file to process it, most
windows users will only need to open the cygwin command window when
they have upgraded LilyPond and have to run convert-ly.

I know that feature requests shouldn't go to this mailing thread, but
how about adding an option in the right-click menu to run convert-ly
on the file?

I think using this method of working is definitely not the way to use lilypond. It should not be propagated much. I'd better propagate lily4jedit. That's not just because I'm working on it hard to make it the best tool for editing :-), but it solves almost all the problems of beginners: how to set up a score, how to run lilypond, how to run convert-ly, how to view output. (AD begins :-) ) Users only have to install lilypond and jEdit (installing LilyPondTool in jEdit is only three clicks). I think it also significantly reduces the learning curve, because it provides good examples of lilypond code. It is much easier to experiment with tweakings with the automatic code completion, because there is no need to always look at the internal documentation, it also provides an integrated help with full-text search (that searches in user manual, internals and even in lilypond snippets), that is much easier to use than the html or pdf version. There are many structure-related questions on the user mailing list that are automatically solved with the Document Wizard. (AD end)

We will create a beginner's guide to lilypond that shows the basics of lilypond with lily4jedit. Anyway to sum my opinion: Windows users shouldn't be directed to "use your favorite text editor", because they don't have one. Windows users should use jEdit. The appropriate syntax highlighting is default in jEdit. The LilyPond plugin will be updated in the near future, after then it will know almost everything that other editors know (I think the only thing is not implemented yet is the quick insert mode), and it has many features that no other editor has (tweaking assist, wizards, templates, macros, integrated DVI viewer, very easy extensibility), and much easier to install.

Bert