Re: Patch: tie-ing enharmonic variants

From: Arno Waschk
Subject: Re: Patch: tie-ing enharmonic variants
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:07:37 +0100

But it does happen in polyphonic piano music, very often to notate one hand silently taking over the note form the other hand.

Arno

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:59:14 +0200, Yuval Harel <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:34:55 +0100, Kilian A. Foth <address@hidden> wrote:

Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:
 > address@hidden writes:
 > [...]
 > >
 > > This changes tie-ing behaviour so that not the exact pitch property
 > > of two candidate notes is compared, but the normalized chromatic
 > > pitch.  (The old behaviour can, of course, be produced by not using
 > > ~ in the first place.)
 >
 > Does this actually work? IIRC, the Tie code is hard-wired to assume
 > that ties are always horizontal.

You're right, the tie is still horizontal, i.e. it will end half a
line too low or too high (I lack the expertise to change tie direction
as well). It still looks rather good to me - way better than the
alternative (tieing to an invisible note of the appropriate pitch)
because that would let the tie end much too soon.

Supporting non-horizontal ties could be good for other purposes too - e.g. a tie may be slanted in {\stemUp g2. ~ g2} to avoid the augmentation dot, or in << {<e e'>2 ~ <e e'>8} \\ {g2 a} >> to avoid the stem. Even if these collisions are not resolved automatically, a manual way to slant the tie could be nice. Also, ties can cross staves - but that's probably much less common than tying enharmonic variants.

Yuval